Thursday 16 October 2008

Rebecca starts early...

As I am on holiday next week I was persuaded to give Zero Waste a go in the office this week. I had all the best intentions of planning food, baking bread, bringing a waste free pack lunch, etc. However after a weekend away and a week at work preparing for my week off, all I managed to do was buy 5 tins of soup which could be recycled after eating!


The first thing I have noticed this week is that I immediatly couldn't eat my usual lunch of Ryvitas (other healthy bread alternatives do exisit!) as I couldn't think of anything to put on them that didn't come in a plastic pot. My usual cream cheese is fairly good on the waste front as a tub will generally last nearly a week and so I wonder if in the great scheme of things this might actually have been better than buying 5 cans and heating them up in a microwave! But them's the rules!


I had asked the man who brings in our snack box to give it a bit of thought and swap some of the overly packaged treats for waste free alternatives. A bit of a challenge I know and apprantly one that was just a bit too hard, as we had a delivery today of all the normal crisps and chocolate, covered in plastic wrapping.


I have encouraged the team to try and bring in some home baking as a replacement and intend to try and kick this off myself tomorrow. However, going on my track record so far this week - I am not going to promise anything!


My advice to everyone for next week would be to make like cub scouts and "be prepared!"


No comments: