Thursday 23 October 2008

Day 4 in the big Zero Waste House!

Good afternoon blogwatchers (is that the collective term??)

Zero Waste is definitely causing a stir locally- we are still getting media requests from local media- Radio Cornwall are interviewing Jon again tomorrow morning to see how his week is going. We have also signed quite a few people up for the Cornish Real Nappy Project free trail kits. This week the kits have been free to celebrate the week and to maximise take up- it seems to be working:)

Its very quiet in the office today and there are only a few of us in- so there is definitely no noise pollution today- less computers on too!

I have had a look in our bins today and in the office apart from backing paper for labels, strapping from boxes of paper delivered from stationers, it seems to be empty....thats more than can be said with our downstairs bin where no one is around to monitor it! You see i am right next to the office bin so i think i scare people off. We need a Zero Waste monitor/monster downstairs as there are a few no recyclable items in there....very disappointing when others are working hard at it- i suppose convenience wins through for some (well most in our society!).

Another day and another cake, this time baked by Becky it was a lovely creamy chocolate cake, very enjoyable. I could get used to this, but i don't think the scales would!

My desk looks like a recycling jungle at the mo- i have 6 empty Ecover bottles on my desk that I have brought from home that need refilling. Our reuse furniture centre in Bodmin, that sells seconds in furniture and electrical appliances, also sell refills for Ecover products which is very handy- saves money and waste. I only started working here over a month ago, having told all my friends and family about ways to save money and save the environment I can imagine my next trip will be with 50 bottles!

I am hoping to cook something for the offices 5th Zero Waste day, i'm not quite sure what and how yet- I have just received a cake recipe from Bec that you can do in the microwave, which means I could save more electricity rather than letting it sit in an oven for 30mins! Zero Waste all round:)

Sian

1 comment:

beccaroon said...

I think we should continue the zero waste cake theme - especially on days when I'm in the office as I've missed out big time this week!! Oh well - it all sounded delicious anyway - well done!!
Becxx